NOTES FROM THE DUMP

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lachrymosa is a specialty of mine...

…it’s the last vestiges of the Irish in me, Lad, why, couple it with drink and you’ve got a natural for a period of introspection, regret, reflection, a chance to lower your self-esteem or raise it, depending on what stage of drinking you’re at…and throw in Beethoven’s ‘Ode To Joy’ Choral Fantasy and youth returns, hope abounds, o joy of joy there is still life!

Such pretty harmony, from the deep rumblings of the basso profundo to the sweet strains of sopranos all is enveloping me in a cocoon of dreamy peace, well, the Guinness kickin’ in too you know…at the beginning stage of drink, as any drunk knows – and there is virtually nothing I don’t know about booze, get it? Anyway, at the outset all is camaraderie and jest and in the end it is broken hearts and homes and disgust with all of one’s life. In a nutshell synopsis that is what all the Budweiser/Riunite/Chivas Regal ads boil down to.

Still, drinking or not, I can see that this guy Beethoven and his ‘Ode To Joy’ are going to go places if he continues apace down the road he’s on…

I ramp it up with Dylan, down the road he’s on, his absolutely most rockin’est tune, ‘Highway 61 Revisited’ from his ‘Fifth Time Around’ album, 8 minutes and five seconds of vintage Dylan live.

If I was going to make an amalgam of myself I would be a compendium of Beethoven, Dylan, Bach, Corot, Dedoyard, plus a few people you don’t know, and I’d toss in a few of my least offensive characteristics – I am not wholly without talent or attributes - to round me off…


IN SEARCH OF A FITTING CLIMAX...

“I ought to have died in Moscow. Till then my fame was undiminished...if only Heaven had sent me a bullet in The Kremlin! My dynasty would have been established; history would have compared me with Alexander & Caesar. Whereas,
as things have turned out, I am practically nothing.”
- Napoleon to Las Cases at St. Helena

No comments: