NOTES FROM THE DUMP

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Random "...NOTES..." From Wrinkled Scraps...

I ROAM THE WEB LOOKING FOR THE WHOLE ME…

…taking this behavior from over there, that idiosyncrasy from way over yonder, pick up a character flaw here and there – there are plenty to go around, and occasionally I indulge myself in what might I look like had I had a choice in the matter other than cosmetic, like you know what I mean? A little overbite is fine, prognathous no…anyway I’m stuck with me, the confluence of personalities, personas and random luck in the gene pool. An aging me rapidly deteriorating.

…what does Multi-Infarct Dementia have to do with this (or anything)? Well, I tell you, it goes like this: Multi-infarct dementia (MID) is a common cause of memory loss in the elderly, caused by multiple strokes. Disruption of blood flow leads to damaged brain tissue. Some of these strokes may occur without noticeable clinical symptoms. Doctors refer to these as silent strokes, I call ‘em whiteouts and if they’re anything like death, it ain’t half-bad.

…anyone having a silent stroke may not even know it is happening, but over time, as more areas of the brain are damaged and more small blood vessels are blocked, the symptoms of MID begin to appear. Symptoms include confusion – bingo - or problems with short-term memory – bingo! -; wandering, or getting lost in familiar places; walking with rapid, shuffling steps; bingo, bingo, bingo…not to mention having difficulty following instructions, always been a prob; and having problems counting money and making monetary transactions. You don’t have to have MID to fuck up the books but it helps to have a fallback for when the auditor questions your ersatz math Dude, watch what you do… MID typically begins between the ages of 60 and 75 and affects more men than women…I add it to the lethal mix.

JACK PRIDE WAS THE PRIDE OF MORGANTOWN WEST-BY-GOD VIRGINIA…

…I tell you the man had the perfect voice for radio, WCSB in Boston, which is where I met him, and the right name too - Jack Pride, strong, resolute, that stentorian voice a rich baritone with ever so slight a West Virginian’s cadenced nuance; then there was Nelson Behelfer, a force to be reckoned with also as he set his massive frame down in the studio for his tour de force, a two-hour long rock show when classic-rock was yet unborn, when it was a rock and roll session with Nelson’s engaging repartee, dazzling in its effect and none of it pandering to the public nor braying the sycophantic line of the advertisers, o no…

Nelson and Jack were great and way ahead of their time, and to me anyway illustrate how the future of FM radio is in the past, for all of today’s radio could be put out on one station, it’s all the same within its genre; that’s too all-encompassing but not too much – the college stations are still pretty good, real good in fact, but mainstream radio, NPR too, is more blather and drivel, puling bombast and posturing than, ah, well, that is, ah, more even than NFTD…the prosaic reality of being only a bit player clings to me like mist to a mountain…

No comments: