NOTES FROM THE DUMP

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Random NOTES From Wrinkled Scraps...

THE CITY FOLKS TAKE ON WOOD STOVES AND FIREPLACES…

…in my view is they are up for the weekend (tryst) in their toney little cabin tucked away in the forest and a wood stove and/or fireplace is just what is needed to get real cozy, the ambience, the warmth, ah the wine…’Bring that bottle over here Darlin’, come and sit by my side, let us mess around a little…’ Which is cool, that’s what cabins and weekends are for…

…hmm…where was I going with this…what’s up with that…o yeah I remember…

…but it – the weekend and the wood stove – doesn’t tell the whole story. For 28 years my sole (& soul) source of heat was wood, wood I cut down, wood I cut up, wood I split and wood I stacked and restacked and carried into the house for roughly seven months out of the year; invariably there was always smoke, always ashes, insects, bark and splinters of wood and more smoke; there were frozen chunks of green elm buried under a foot of snow which had to be dug out, laboriously split, and practically nothing short of the fires of perdition would set it aflame, plus it stinks…nothing sensual about it.

…I don’t miss it; I loved it then when I was young (young, that I miss) but I’m just as happy now to walk across the room and spin the dial on the thermostat.

No comments: